Renting a home- some consumer facts

By: Franc Brown

By renting holiday homes, travellers can enjoy the comfort of their home while enjoying at their favourite holiday destination. But the short term renters donít have the benefits that regular and long term renters often enjoy. So, before you check in, it is wise to know your rights for renting a holiday house or a unit.
Who should I rent from?
Individuals are always at liberty to let their properties. However, if they are using a broker or property manager, they should make sure they are licensed.
Whether renting from the property owner directly or from the licensed agent, make certain that you sign a written agreement that clearly states the rights and responsibilities of both parties.
What services are provided to you?
Before you sign the contract, talk to the agent or property owner about anything that you are unsure of. For instance:

  • If the owner has the right to enter the property you are living in and under what circumstances.

  • If the accommodation is rated according to the accommodation classification system and how it works

  • Is the accommodation serviced and how often?

  • Is there any anything in the property that canít be used or if there are some shared facilities?

  • Is the holiday villa rental in St Tropez furnished?

  • What kind of transportation and other basic facilities are available there?

  • How the disputes will be settled?

  • Who to call in case of emergency?

Before you make a booking?
If you are making bookings at a place that you never visited before, it is important that you keep a few things in mind.
  • When speaking to a person ask his name and who they represent.

  • Take note of all important points of your conservations.

  • Make sure you understand all terms and conditions. And if you donít, feel free to ask.

  • Ensure you receive written confirmation of everything you get.

  • Read all correspondence carefully.

  • Check that the business is licensed.

  • It is always a good idea to deal with people you actually know.

A good estate agent is required to give you trust account receipt for any payment that you have made. In case of any dispute that receipt will act as a proof of payment for the services. Receipt should bear the name, date, amount and signature of the recipient.
Property inspections
Along with the owner or property agent, you should conduct the inspection of the property before moving in. You should note any existing damage or any missing or faulty appliance. Make sure your comments are noted in writing and the owner or agent keeps the copy of that.
In case of any damage, you will be responsible for the property or equipment, fixtures and fittings, if it was caused due to your negligence.
Security deposits
You will be asked to provide security deposits. You should get the receipt of that deposit and written information on where it will be held, whom it will be paid to and how to claim it back and the responsibilities of the parties involved.

Article Directory:

| More

Franc Brown writes for Riviera VIP services a leading online portal that can help you find your dream Mykonos Villa rentals and Holiday Home Rental France.

Please Rate this Article


Not yet Rated

Click the XML Icon Above to Receive Recreation and Sports Articles Articles Via RSS!

Powered by Article Dashboard