How You Can Become An Au Pair In The US

By: Gerald

A domestic assistant that is certainly from another country and is also being employed by a host family is an Au Pair. An Au Pair allows the responsibility for childcare and monotonous work around the house. Payment is made by means of a stipend that is given weekly. However, there are basic information you need to know.


A standard Au Pair in the use has to be between 18 and 26 years of age. They will need to enjoy dealing with young children. Au Pairs must have a minimum amount of practical childcare experience. The minimum amount of experience you will have to need is 200 hours. In addition, you must have secondary education for your schooling completed. A very good standard of spoken English is called for and you will need to commit to a 12-month stay with an American family. Nonetheless, you should have previously been a U.S. Au Pair.


Au Pairs in the United States will have a variety of responsibiliti8es. This tends to include but is not limited by standard childcare for numerous young children. As a Au Pair you represent an extra pair of hands for the parents to try and do common household duties. This tends to include doing laundry for the children, which include any clean up after their daily activities.

Length Of Time of Program

The normal duration for an Au Pair program can be 12 months on a standard J-1 Visa. Nevertheless, you might get a chance to extend your stay for additional 6, 9 and 12 months once you have finished the first year of the program. Once the program is complete you will have a 30-day grace period to travel within the United States.

Hours and Payment

The average day for an Au Pair could last as much as 10 hours a day and up to 45 hours per week. You will be given a stipend or payment based on a specified formula. This formula is usually a calculation of the federal minimum wage that will subtract a specific amount for room and board. The stipend or payment for an Au Pair in the United States is almost $200 every week.


When you meet all of the requirements you may apply to an Au Pair program that if offered through Au Pair International. When you will be accepted and matched with a host family you are going to be provided with papers to apply for a J-1 Visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is situated in your country.

Article Directory:

| More

To become an Au Pair in the United States you need to enroll in an Au Pair exchange program or look for an Au Pair in America program. You can ensure that you get accepted with a host family by having less placement restrictions that will limit your available options. For more information, click the link.

Please Rate this Article


Not yet Rated

Click the XML Icon Above to Receive Gaming Articles Articles Via RSS!

Powered by Article Dashboard