Learning a new language is a great way to learn how to communicate with other people from around the world. It will provide you with a new skill which could be used in business or just for when you want to learn the basics of a language for an up and coming vacation. This article takes a look at five of the most widely spoken languages in the world, and it also explains the benefits of taking an online language learning course.
1. Mandarin (Chinese) is the most widely spoken language in the world, with over 1 billion people speaking it. The primary place where Mandarin is spoken is in China, which is the most populated country on the planet. Mandarin is a tonal language, which means that it has four different tones which you need to master in order to learn how to communicate in Mandarin effectively. Hello in Mandarin is 'Ni Hao' pronounced (Nee HaOW), but in order to say it correctly you will have to let the tone of your voice drop midway and then raise it at the end.
2. The second most widely spoken language is Spanish, with approximately 329 million speakers worldwide according to National Geographic. Spanish is the main language in almost all South American and Central American countries, along with Spain, Cuba and some parts of the US. You probably already know some Spanish words just from the food items which have made their way onto our menus, such as tacos, enchiladas and quesadillas. Spanish for hello is Hola (pronounced oh-la).
3. Just behind Spanish, English takes up the third spot for the most widely spoken language with about 328 million speakers globally. Mandarin Chinese actually beats English on a 3 to 1 ratio. However, when including people who have English as their second or third language then there are approximately 500+ million English speakers in the world. English is widely spoken in America, Australia, New Zealand, England, the Caribbean, South Africa and Canada.
4. Arabic is in fourth position when it comes to the amount of speakers worldwide. According to the National Geographic, there are about 221 million speakers. The Arabic language is spoken in more than 20 countries with a variety of dialects. However, the modern standard Arabic is the official language which is also used in the news and other formal situations.
5. Finally Hindi, which is th e main language in India, also makes it on the list of the most widely spoken languages in the world. This language is spoken by approximately 182 million people. It is made up of a wide range of dialects, each with their own words and colloquialisms. If you want to say hello in Hindi then say Namaste (pronounced Nah-mah-ste).
Online Language Learning Courses
There are many benefits of taking an online learning course as opposed to attending a course in person. Providing that you have a computer and an Internet connection you will be able to access the course from anywhere in the world. It will also allow you to learn at your own pace, so you don't have to worry about keeping up with other people in the class. You can also schedule your learning sessions around your existing commitments, making online learning perfect for you if you currently have a full-time job or if you are raising a family. They are often more affordable than taking in person classes, and you don't have to spend extra money travelling to and from a physical course location.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Language United helps you to widen your horizons in all aspects of life. We will not only help you to live a successful and beautiful life, but we will also help you to see the world with new eyes. Visit our website if you are interested in learning different languages. You can also follow us on twitter for some amazing language tweets.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated