There are many aspects of women’s health, and if any of these is neglected, the results could pose dangerous risks. One aspect that should not be ignored is pelvic examination.
A pelvic exam is a physical examination of the organs in a woman’s pelvic area. It is divided into external and internal examination. During the examination, a doctor determines the state or the position of the vagina, uterus, the cervix, and the ovaries. It is a very important aspect of health for women because it helps in detecting cancers, infections, the presence of sexually transmitted diseases and similar problems affecting the reproductive system.
Reasons for Conducting a Pelvic Exam
A pelvic examination is performed for the following reasons:
* It is a vital aspect of detecting vaginal infections such as vaginitis and yeast infections. In this case, a pelvic exam is the first step toward proper treatment of the infection.
* It is also used to detect any abnormalities in the organs of the pelvic region. With a comprehensive pelvic exam, ovarian cysts, uterine prolapse, and other similar diseases can likewise be detected.
* In cases of pain in the pelvic region, a pelvic exam will be used to determine and validate if there are any abnormalities in the organs of the pelvic area.
* In some cases such as a suspicion of sexual assault, a pelvic exam will likewise be used to determine if indeed a sexual assault took place. Although cases such as this are rare, law enforcement relies on the examination as a vital first step in the investigation.
* In cases of uterine bleeding, a pelvic exam is likewise beneficial. In most instances, the bleeding occurs with internal organs, and the only way to treat the condition is by using a pelvic exam to determine the extent of the infection.
* To detect infection from sexually transmitted diseases such as herpes and chlamydia.
A pelvic exam should not be taken for granted. In fact, doctors recommend that women undergo a pelvic examination at least once a year. This way, it will be easy for doctors to keep tab on the health of women by making sure that their reproductive system is in good condition. This is to avoid possible worsening of any infection affecting the reproductive system.
Preparing for a Pelvic Exam
When a woman is about to undergo a pelvic examination, it is important for her to tell her doctor accurately of any symptoms or condition affecting her. For example, if one is suspecting that she is pregnant, it is important to inform her doctor; otherwise, the pregnancy and the woman’s health may be jeopardized. Moreover, because the pelvic exam requires that a woman be free from taking anything that may affect her system, doctors recommend a woman not to take any drug or alcoholic beverages. Moreover, it is also important to reveal conditions such as itching and redness in vaginal areas to help doctors assess the extent of the infection.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Florida Women’s Clinic, was established by Dr. James Pendergraft. Our Florida Abortion Clinics Offering the latest, safest and most advanced techniques for providing non-surgical, medical and surgical abortion methods including abortion pill in Florida.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated