The DeLonghi EC152 is a no-nonsense espresso maker. Operation is straightforward, just no-frills coffee brewing and it won't do too much harm to your bank balance either.
What the manufacturers have achieved at this sort of price point is outstanding. The machine has all the appearance of a professional espresso maker - anyone who owns one of these must be a real coffee expert! But is there more here than looks alone? What precisely does the machine have to offer?
· 15 Bar pressure and 1100 Watts of heating power means that the machine is very fast to heat up and has stacks of power to filter through properly-ground coffee. As a consequence, the crema is top-quality (so long as you follow the instructions!)
· Milk froth for lattes and cappuccinos from the conventional steam frother. As with all espresso/capuccino making, you may have to experiment to get the best results.
· Capacity in the coffee grounds holder for one or two cups of espresso. Alternatively, one large cup of cappuccino.
· Really compact in size for efficient use of valuable kitchen space.
· Very competitively priced - the DeLonghi EC152 is available for under £60 ($80 for the US equivalent EC155). Superb value for a machine that will do so much.
A few points do arise however:-
· The machine will not tamp down the grounds itself - you will have to make sure that this is done correctly. There is a tamping plate built onto the casing, but this will not allow much pressure to be applied. A heavy hand tamper could be worth getting. It's worth mentioning that failure to tamp the coffee down firmly enough will almost surely mean that you won't get the crema that is so much a feature of good espresso.
· This is a single-boiler machine. It will take a few seconds to heat up to steamer temperature for frothing, and to cool down after steaming so you can brew more espresso.
· There's not a lot of space between the filter head and the drainer - sufficient for espresso cups but not for anything much bigger. Some people recommend just taking out the drainer grating.
Generally speaking, the evaluations of the EC152 are very positive. For the money, the DeLonghi EC152 is a first-class home espresso machine, and gives the opportunity for many people to get into home-brewed espresso without breaking the bank.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
You can read more about the DeLonghi EC152 and many more kitchen aids and appliances at Tern Kitchen Reviews
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated