Originally known as Bagdad, the city of Leander was established in 1882. Its history, however, extends even further back than 1882, as the first settlers arrived in the area as far back as 1845.
Located in the heart of Central Texas and along the edge of Texas Hill Country, Leander features beautiful views as well as ample recreational opportunities. In addition, it is located within a short commute from downtown Austin, making it easy for the city's 16,000 residents to enjoy all that downtown Austin has to offer. In fact, the city is only 5 miles from Austin, which means residents can regularly enjoy the numerous dining, shopping and cultural opportunities that Austin has to offer. Furthermore, it is an easy commute for those who are interested in living outside of the city of Austin but who want to take advantage of the ample employment opportunities available in the city.
Of course, the city of Leander also features several of its own dining opportunities, including restaurants that offer Mexican, Italian and Chinese cuisine. Some of the other major attractions found within the city of Leander include:
• Crystal Falls Golf Course - an 18-hole course offering a challenge to players of all abilities. The course features a grille, a fully stocked pro shop, a driving range, and two teaching professionals.
• Leander Library - a 17,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility featuring wireless Internet access, community conference rooms and a coffee shop.
• Way Off Broadway - features live theater performed by a volunteer cast and crew
For the outdoor enthusiast, the rolling hills and beautiful lakes found within the Leander area are certainly quite welcome. Thanks to its proximity to the Highland Lakes, residents of Leander can easily enjoy boating, sailing, water skiing, fishing, scuba diving and other water-related activities. The miles of rolling hills and untouched landscape are also the ideal home for a variety of wildlife, including the turkey and deer that run freely throughout the area. For those who enjoy recreation with a bit more structure, a gorgeous municipal golf course can also be found in the area.
Parks found in Leander include:
• Benbrook Ranch Park - located on Halsey Driver and featuring a softball field, soccer fields, hiking and biking trails, a pavilion, a skate park, a BMX track, a disc golf course and restrooms
• Devine Lake - located on Maple Creek and offering opportunities for fishing, boating and wildlife watching
• Mason Creek Park - located on Eagles Way and featuring a small trail, a playscape, picnic facilities and a water fountain
• Robin Bledsoe Park - located on Bagdad and featuring a swimming pool, a playscape, two lighted soccer/baseball fields, a water playscape, picnic tales, a pavilion, an amphitheater, a basketball court, concessions, a BBQ grill and restrooms
The Leander Parks & Recreation department operates these parks and hosts numerous special events for the whole family, including Movies at the Park, the Concert Series in the Park, the Liberty Fest, the Spring Egg-Stravaganza, swimming lessons and softball leagues.
Children who live in Leander receive an excellent education through the Leander Independent School District, which is one of the fastest growing districts in Texas. The district, which is already serving over 19,000 students, has received "Recognized District" honors from the Texas Education Agency. The district is dedicated to continually improving its curriculum, focusing on modeling ethical behavior and encouraging parental and community involvement.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Crystal Guthrie is a top producing Realtor at Cantera Real Estate, and her company website features Leander Real Estate as well as other areas. Connect with Crystal Guthrie on her Linkedin profile.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated