Heart attack is one of the leading causes of death in the world. It occurs when there is an interruption of the blood supply to a part of the heart which causes some heart cells to die. The interruption in the supply of blood is most commonly due to a blockage in any of the heart arteries.
On the other hand, stroke occurs when there is a rapid loss in brain function due to some abnormalities in the supply of blood to the brain. Heart attack and stroke may occur simultaneously and in such instances, there is a high possibility of death. Together, the two are among the top killer diseases in the world, regardless of gender, age, or race.
One very important thing that a woman should learn is that she is at risk of getting a heart attack and stroke in the same manner as men. This is to challenge widely held notions that men are more susceptible to it. While records will tell that most of the victims of these killer diseases are male, it does not in any way discount the possibility that women are susceptible and face the same risks.
Symptoms of Heart Attack and Stroke in Women
Generally, symptoms of heart attack and stroke are common to both men and women. However, there are some symptoms that are more likely to be experienced by women than men. These symptoms are the following:
1) A recurring discomfort in the chest area.
2) A feeling of discomfort or pain in the area between shoulder blades.
3) A general feeling of weakness and fatigue.
4) A feeling of dizziness, nausea, or vomiting.
5) Indigestion or gas-like pain in the stomach.
6) A sudden pounding of the heart or a racing heartbeat.
8) Sudden hiccups.
9) Shortness of breath.
10) A loss of consciousness or fainting.
It would also do well for a woman to do the following simple tests if she has fallen victim to heart attack or stroke:
1. Look at the face. When a woman is trying to smile, does only one side respond and the other side drops?
2. Look at the arms. When a woman tries to raise both arms, does one arm drift downward?
3. Notice the speech. When a woman is trying to say a simple sentence, do the words come out slurred or incorrect?
If the answer to all these questions are yes, then it is a telltale sign that one may have experienced heart attack or stroke.
What to Do with Symptoms of Heart Attack and Stroke
Once the signs of heart attack or stroke appear, waste no time hesitating or doubting. When such symptoms appear, rush the patient immediately to the hospital for immediate medical attention. There, doctors can easily administer any treatment for the patient. In any case, if the suspicion is wrong, at least the mistake of rushing to the hospital was on the safer side.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Orlando Abortion Clinics. Dr. James S. Pendergraft opened the Abortion Clinic Florida in March 1996 to provide a full range of health care for women, including abortion clinics in orlando, physical examinations, family planning, counseling and sexually transmitted disease.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated