If you are one of those people who want to achieve better vision, eyeglasses and contact lenses are not the only solutions because lasik surgery can solve your vision problems without any hassles.
Lasik surgery is one of the most popular and commonly performed operations to restore your vision without any pain and results can be achieved on the day of the operation or the next day. If you have decided to undergo lasik surgery, there are several steps that you have to take to ensure the success of your operation.
Before the lasik surgery or even considering lasik surgery there are things to consider so that you will be prepared and have proper knowledge since lasik surgery is still a surgery.
1. Select a lasik surgeon who will perform the operation. It is very important that you use reliable sources in choosing your lasik surgeon.
* Advertisements and academic medical centers can be consulted to find a surgeon. Ads often lure people with price but it should not be the only consideration because there are misleading ads. Ask first if the lasik surgeon on the ad is affiliated with any academic medical center such as a teaching hospital especially those who are prominent for advanced technology.
* Get referrals from your ophthalmologist or optometrist. They most likely know good lasik surgeons to check out.
* Call refractive surgery centers in your area. Most have websites you can visit that includes listings of doctors. Browse through their specialties and credentials.
2. Make an appointment and consult your chosen surgeon. Prior to the appointment, write down all questions that you want to ask the surgeon. If you are not satisfied with the answers to your questions about the surgery consult another lasik surgeon.
3. Ask for second opinion. There is no harm in asking for another surgeons opinion. It is a common practice and your chosen lasik surgeon will also suggest it.
4. Before the lasik surgery is performed, your lasik surgeon will first perform an examination to your eyes. This will ensure if lasik surgery is the most appropriate solution to your vision problems. In this examination, the lasik surgeon will also determine the health of your eyes, vision correction and how much laser ablation is needed.
5. If the doctor finds a dry eye disease, it should be treated first before any lasik surgery can be done.
6. Health problems and medications that you are taking will also be asked by the doctor since there are some conditions that can disqualify a person from having lasik surgery.
Once a schedule for the surgery had been set the things to be expected on that day are the following.
1. The surgery will only take a few minutes and a mild oral sedative might be used. The eyes will be anesthetized with special drops.
2. You will be asked to lie down and the eye will be positioned under the laser. The procedure will then be performed.
3. After the operation, you can rest for a while especially if both eyes will undergo lasik surgery. Some people prefer having the second eye surgery after a week.
After the operation, you still have to take care of your eyes. Expect the following after your lasik surgery.
1. Most people experience improvement right away but some gradually improves vision after several days or weeks.
2. Not all people who have undergone the surgery will have 20/20 vision. Some would still need to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses but their prescription will be much lower than they have beforehand.
Lasik surgery can improve your vision but being armed with information will not hurt since it is your eyes that you will be putting on the line.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Now there is a gallery of powerful information yours for the taking. Decide now to improve your appearance, self esteem and impove the quality of your life. Click here: Lasik Surgery
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated