There is a growing demand for culinary professionals who can cook food that is healthy, hygienic and nutritious. The growth can be attributed to
- The growing awareness of the effect that food has on well-being of a person
- Emergence of restaurants and other dine-in units
- Growth in catering and food service industry
- Increased level of patient care and service in healthcare industry
This means that current is the best time to build careers in this field. However, you are expected to have undergone at least some kind of formal post-secondary education in this field. In addition, you must be able to handle and operate the latest kitchen equipment and use the latest cooking techniques.
Centennial College’s culinary skills chef training program gives you the competencies required to work in an intensive and fast-paced kitchen. It prepares you for careers in diverse food service industry settings.
The one-year post-secondary program aims to provide students with the:
- Knowledge and understanding necessary to make dietary choice support health needs of individuals
- Culinary skills necessary for quantity food production in commercial, institutional and healthcare settings
- Knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to carry out the process of food production in a safe, hygienic and professional manner
The chef training course runs through two semesters, covering a wide range of basic and advanced subjects. In the first semester, you will study Principles and Practices of Nutrition for Culinarians, Culinary Skills – Foundation and Development, Food Theory for Culinarians, Bakeshop Principles and Practices, Sanitation, Safety and Hygiene, and Numeracy and Computers for Culinarians.
The second semester covers Garde Manger and Butchery, Bakeshop Principles and Practices 2, Culinary Skills – Foundation and Development 2, Human Resources and Career Planning, Principles of Food, Beverage and Labour Cost Controls, Kitchen and Dining Room Practices, and Culture and Cuisine.
The chef training Toronto college has a brand new state-of-the-art Culinary Arts Centre where you get hands-on training. In addition, you have the opportunity to prepare food in college’s ‘living lab’ restaurant, Horizons. You will also cook for and serve food to real-time customers.
As a chef training program student, you will:
- Become proficient in using the latest kitchen equipment effectively
- Become familiar with various approaches to diet and health
- Gain an understanding of nutrition fundamentals
- Develop an understanding of the connection between food and wellness
- Gain mastery in basic cooking techniques
- Be prepare to navigate the ever changing culinary scene easily
The program is delivered by the industry experienced instructors, which reflects high program quality. In addition, you’re given an option to earn certifications with Smart Serve program and the National Sanitation Training. In addition, the option to articulate into the two-year culinary management – international program also exists.
In order to apply for this program, you will need:
- Secondary school diploma certificate or equivalent, or mature student status
- English Grade 12C or University or equivalent
You can also apply to this program, even if you are currently appearing in high school.
Your midterm and final term grades will be automatically transferred to the college.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Jason White, the author of the article, discusses how Centennial College’s culinary skills chef training program prepares students for careers in diverse food service environments in just one year.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated