If your family doctor has informed you that your father is showing signs of rheumatoid arthritis, you might be a little bit worried. But after coming to know what is rheumatoid arthritis and the different treatment options that are available for that, you might feel a little bit relieved.
What is rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis actually affects the bone joints in different portions of the body. Due to this reason, the person gets swelling, stiffness and pain in the region. Once a person gets affected by this disease, he or she may have to undergo treatment for some months and the condition may go away. In some other patients, it may last for a longer duration and the person has to undergo treatment for a lengthier period.
This condition is usually caused by genes, environment and change in human hormones
Rheumatoid arthritis Symptoms
Some of the common symptoms associated with Rheumatoid arthritis include
1. Severe pain in one of the joint regions
2. Difficulty in walking even a short distance
3. Feeling of tiredness and inability to do any activity
4. Fever Symptoms
5. Swelling in the joint regions
This condition usually occurs more in women compared to men. Middle age is the age when this disease affects a person. But of late even small boys and girls have been found affected by this condition.
Doctors study the joint region by taking X-rays and look at the different joints and bone ligaments. Doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating this condition are called as Rheumatologists. As this disease takes some time to develop, specialists don not come to conclusions immediately and provide treatments for ordinary muscle and joint pains. After a month or so, when the patient doesn't respond to these treatments, then they start the treatment for this condition
There are treatment options that are available for treating this condition. Whatever be the treatment option, the main objectives of the treatment is to reduce the pain and swelling and help the patient to feel better and active. Some of the options that are usually followed by the specialists include
1. Suggesting life style changes to the patient by asking them to change their existing eating patterns and also suggest them to follow a stress free and active lifestyle.
2. Medicines in the form of tablets that are mainly used to control the pain and also the swelling.
3. Option of performing surgery. This is usually the last option that is suggested by the doctor when the patient is not able to bear the pain and pain has been persisting for a prolonged period of time.
4. Alternative therapies. This is one area that many specialists have found some good success of late. The alternative therapies include putting the patient under the watchful eyes of a chiropractor. Chiropractors usually provide treatment to the joint pains by working with the existing alignment of the bones and the tissues that that are connected to the bones.
After getting to know what is rheumatoid arthritis and different treatment options available, you will now in a better position to provide support to your father.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Swit Milody is an author for Arthritistreatment.biz, Best information provider on Provailen arthritis treatment. She has been writing articles on what is rheumatoid arthritis and Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since very long time.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated