Hypothyroidism is just one of the many diseases that may affect women. The situation is a cause for alarm because of the many complications that it brings. In any case, hypothyroidism may indicate that something may be seriously amiss with a woman’s health. Because a woman’s body may be subjected to various hormonal changes, hypothyroidism is more frequent in women than in men.
On the other hand, weight gain is another thing that can do damage to a woman’s health. Although not as serious as hypothyroidism, as well as being controllable, weight gain is something that women hate because it can impact their self esteem. In any case, weight gain can also result in harmful effects on the body such as problems with the heart and in other organs. Another thing about weight gain is that it is also one of the symptoms of some diseases.
Weight Gain and Hypothyroidism
The correlation between weight gain and hypothyroidism is something that is not new to medical experts. This is because the thyroid is known to regulate the metabolism of the body. Therefore, any problems with relation to the functioning of the thyroid can affect the body’s metabolism process and may cause a person to weight gain.
Women who suffer from hypothyroidism tend to have a low metabolic rate. As a result, a person easily gains weight. Although not all women who have hypothyroidism experience weight gain, the majority of those who have the disease report increasing weight. Other factors that can affect weight gain is the biochemistry of their body, the calories consumed, and the utilization of those calories. In fact, weight gain and the difficulty of losing extra weight are one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Sometimes, even though a woman may restrict herself by dieting, weight gain still persists. This is because metabolic burning rate drops so low that it is not able to cope even with the drastically reduced food intake.
Countering Weight Gain in Women with Hypothyroidism
* Get hooked on physical activity. Exercise regularly. This is important in order to speed up metabolism and increase the rate by which you lose weight. What experts recommend is a simple 30-minute walk every day.
* Avoid stimulants like coffee and soft drinks. These foods are known for their stimulating effect that can affect the functioning of the thyroid.
* Monitor your thyroid level regularly. Because thyroid levels can change quickly, have a checkup once every 6 months. This is to make sure that the medication you are taking is right for the level of hypothyroidism you are suffering from.
* Reduce body stress. Stress in women is a known contributor to hypothyroidism. As such, make sure that one has access to ways to relieve stress.
* Consume a lot of foods rich in zinc. The best source of zinc is in oysters because they have a high content of the mineral. Zinc is known to counter hypothyroidism because it helps improve thyroid function.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Abortion Clinic Tampa, was established by Dr. James Pendergraft. Our Abortion Clinics Offering the latest, safest and most advanced techniques for providing non-surgical, medical and surgical abortion methods including abortion pill in Tampa.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated