Gas and Electrical Safety Advice For Landlords

By: Susan Sportman

As a landlord, you have a legal obligation to make sure that the property you let is safe for your tenants to reside in. Normally speaking, gas and electrical systems along with all appliances present the highest risk of injuries. It really is essential you ensure that these systems are not dangerous.

For gas installations:

You must ensure that all fittings and flues are maintained properly and in a safe condition. This also means you must have gas installations and appliances serviced every 12 months, and you have to keep a record of the service being carried out


You must have a gas safety check done on all gas appliances and flues annually. A Gas safety certificate is a legal requirement. Ideally, check gas installations and appliances immediately before the start of any new tenancy, even when the gas safety certificate is still current.

Your managing agent should carry this out for you. Only a Gas Safe registered plumber or central heating engineer is qualified to repair or certificate anything attached to the gas system. For instance, handling boilers, flues or cookers. Make sure that you keep a record of every safety check for 2 years. Your Gas Safe engineer will issue this certificate. You must also make sure you give a copy of the Gas Safe engineerís safety check report and certificate to the tenants.

The statutory regulations are: Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. These regulations are enforced through the Health and Safety Executive.

For electrical installations:

Although there isn't a requirement by law to have the fixed wire electrical system checked for safety, it is good practice and quite often a requirement for a good property management agency to provide a Periodic Inspection Report. If the system is safe and in good condition, it will have 'Satisfactory Inspection' listed on the PIR document. A check every 5 years is usually deemed to be satisfactory.

All properties built since June 1992 are bound by building regulations to have inter-connected mains operated smoke alarms fitted on every level of the building. In older properties this is not a requirement.

However, landlords are well advised to supply at least battery operated smoke alarm as a duty of care. When you fit battery-operated smoke alarms unfortunately, it becomes the landlordís responsibility to check them regularly and for the batteries to be changed regularly. This makes installing a mains operated smoke alarm look more attractive and cost efficient in the long term.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 stipulate that all electrical equipment in tenanted residential properties must remain safe.

Any electrical equipment you provide needs to be in good working order and safe. E.g. kettles, cookers, microwaves, televisions and washing machines. Technically a PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) procedure needs to be carried out. This is a test for every appliance to make sure that it is safe. A sticker with the pass date is stuck onto it and a record kept.

For landlords with multiple properties this can be time consuming and expensive. Ideally keep the amount of electrical equipment you supply to the tenant at an absolute minimum.

Article Directory:

| More

I have worked in the plumbing industry for a long time, over Twenty years in fact. Most of my time I have spent working for a company called Plumbing Services London, and I have seen some pretty sites and some not so pretty sites.

Please Rate this Article


Not yet Rated

Click the XML Icon Above to Receive Other A&E Articles Articles Via RSS!

Powered by Article Dashboard