First, let us define what fire resistant is. A fire resistant is a term that refers to the ability of an item to withstand and minimize the effects of fire. There are some organizations that issue safety fire resistance ratings on different materials like Carhartt work wear and Rasco fire resistant clothing. Other things that are being issued fire resistance ratings are the following: glazing, fire doors, beams and roofs, floors, construction joint systems, dampers and duct assemblies, fire-stop systems, walls and partitions and electrical circuit protective systems. The fire resistance ratings are Class A, B, and C. Class A is for materials that need the highest protection. Class B is less protection while Class C materials need the least protection.
In all honesty, there is no home or building is fireproof. Even the concrete-made house won't be free from fire. One sure way to withstand the blazes of fire on your home is using the right materials. Now, you may ask what these materials are. Below are the top 6 fire-resistant building materials:
1. Roofing and siding. If you are building a house or any building construction, make sure to wrap the exterior with these naturally non-combustible and fabricated fire-resistant materials.
2. Glass for your windows. Not just ordinary windows but fire-resistant windows. One good example for this is the dual-paned glass windows that provide energy efficiency. It has a double layer before the fire could get in. In installing windows, you may consider the window framing and make sure to use steel framing, wood or aluminum. Don't use vinyl because the fire will surely break in easily.
3. Concrete. It is widely used among construction sites. It is proven to be an excellent fire-resistant material for any structures like house and commercial buildings. Concrete is non-combustible and low in thermal conductivity. Fire will have a difficulty to break in and affect the structure. It also protects the building from spreading the fire. Concrete is mostly consists of cement and aggregate.
4. Flame retardants. It works by cooling, diluting and forming a layer to make it fire-resistant. One of the best examples of flame retardants is organic halides which cools the material by interrupting the chemical reaction for fire to spread. Another example is the foam from fire extinguishers which is good for diluting the fire by splashing water and carbon dioxide. The forming of layers can be found on clothing like Nomex fire resistant clothing and Bulwark flame resistant clothing, mattresses and other furniture that are being upholstered.
5. Stucco. It is a kind of plaster which is widely used for artistic reasons and structural purposes. It is made from sand, lime and cement. Stucco covers brick and wood and consists of two or three coats.
6. Bricks. Bricks are made from fire kiln and it is really resistant from fire. It is known that bricks are one of the best building materials for fire protection.
But please let it be known that these are just suggested materials. Builders' should think of the materials, cost and proper installation.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
For more information, please click these links: fire resistant work wear, Nomex fire resistant clothing and www.midwestworkwear.com/about-us
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated
Additional Articles From - Home
| Home And Garden Articles