Water damage distraught DC homeowners can gain a lot from simplified methods of cleaning and restoring water damage articles and items. These step-by-step easy to follow suggestions are specially relevant in today’s financially-strapped living conditions that calling for professional water damage cleaning and restoration services is no longer considered economical. In water damage restoration, it is important for the DC homeowner to understand that simple and inexpensive ways can be performed first before making that decision to call for professional help.
• Switch off the main electric power supply of the home as you will be working with wet floors and water is an extremely good conductor of electric currents. Always put safety as the most important concern in any water damage restoration activities. This can be done by wearing shields such as garments, goggles, gloves and boots. Never use electrical appliances and or fixtures while you are working on wet carpet or wet floors in order to avoid accidental electrocution and never enter rooms with standing water especially if the home’s electric power is still on.
• Establish the nature of the water whether it is sanitary and clean or dirty and filthy since water coming from the faucet is usually water that is relatively safe. On the other hand, unclean or dirty water which may come from the sewer pipes can seep into the home’s waterways and may have many harmful microorganisms that can necessitate the wearing of extra protective wear.
• Get rid of all standing water before completely and thoroughly drying small articles by using an industrial grade wet vacuum pump. Do not use the usual household vacuum pump since the suction is not tough enough to remove all the water. A high-quality sump pump installed in the basement is almost always helpful. If a sump pump is not available, investing in one will turn out to be a more practical solution in the long run because a good quality sump pump can remove water more efficiently than doing the manual work which can ensure that water damage restoration can progress at a faster pace.
• Remove unaffected dry and clean items away from those that have been damaged by water so that they too will not get affected.
• Methodically clean, dry, disinfect, and deodorize, the affected area and articles such as carpets, clothing, rugs, furniture, fixtures, books, and other personal belonging once standing water has been removed.
• Open all entrances and exit ways such as windows and doors so that adequate ventilation will be promoted and will allow fresh air to enter. Ensure also that you already have with you all the resources you will need such as cleaning tools, disinfectants, deodorizers, detergents, mops, protective gear and drying equipment.
• Speed up the drying process by using electric fans and dehumidifies together with well-open windows and vents. Remove baseboards from walls so that fresh air can flow in the inside surfaces of the wall, dry them, and then restore them once they are fully dried.
These beginner's methods can give the DC homeowner extra savings which he can use to buy more efficient water-proofing technology for his home.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Leo Nov is an editorial staff member of RestorationSOS. To learn more about Water Clean Up visit our website. Click here for more information on Water Damage DC.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated