Diamond Jewelry In All Shapes And Sizes

By: Robert Thomson


I believe it was Marilyn Monroe who said it best when she first sang the iconic song "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend". Diamond Jewelry is the most popular form of jewelry and has been since the early 19th century when an increased supply of them began to be mined. It also helped that their cutting methods improved, advertisers began successful campaigns and economic situations began to change.

Originally, diamonds were used as religious icons in ancient India. They have since gone on to be treasured and widely sought after. While their usage for jewelry is a relatively new concept, it is believed that diamond jewelry is the most popular use of the gems when in fact only about 20% of diamonds are used for adornment and the other 80% can be used for everything from engraving tools to phonograph and videodisc needles.

Diamonds have also been used in earrings, tiaras, necklaces, bracelets, watches and even unusual items such as braces or "grills". Though their most notable use may be in engagement rings. Women can look forward to a diamond ring during a proposal of marriage. With different cuts, colors and clarity levels, there is sure to be a diamond to fit any taste and budget.

While some many not choose to use diamonds in their engagement jewelry, there are many great synthetic diamonds being created each day. Synthetic diamonds do not hold the same value as authentic ones, but there are are many great benefits for some buyers. The great thing about synthetic diamond jewelry is that the cost is considerably less, the appearance is often identical to the naked eye and there is no worry of mining conditions.

A popular preference in diamonds is their colors and cuts. For example, while a red diamond may be rare and deemed as more valuable, it is actually a sign of a diamond with impurities. There is no such thing as a pure diamond that is colored because according to experts a pure diamond should transmit visible light and appear as a clear colorless crystal.

Colors in diamond originate from defects and impurities which can be manipulated to produce different results. The impurities come from different things such as Nitrogen or Boron which produce a yellow/brown color and blue colors in diamonds respectively. A plastic deformation can be the main cause of brown, pink and red colors in diamonds. The most rare color for a diamond is red, followed by purple, orange, pink, "black", green, blue, colorless with brown and yellow being the most common colors available. Though black diamonds are rarely used in diamond jewelry, they are not actually black but rather a combination of deep colors.

No matter the color or cut, diamond jewelry is a wonderful investment and can be one of the greatest gifts a person can receive. Diamonds are a great way to show that "special someone" that you care. Whether it's a ring or a watch, diamond jewelry is a great way to go.

Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com

| More

MyReviewsNow provides information about diamond jewelry. To learn about diamond jewelry, visit us at MyReviewsNow.net

Please Rate this Article

 

Not yet Rated

Click the XML Icon Above to Receive Jewelry Articles Articles Via RSS!


Powered by Article Dashboard