Cork flooring is one of the most sought after flooring materials today. Homeowners love to have different rooms in the house fitted with cork floors, especially the living room and bedroom. What many donít know is that cork floor tiles are also perfect for the kitchen. Many believe that this type of floor may not be able to withstand the rigors of a kitchen. After all, these places are high traffic places where food and drinks can be spilled on the floor, glasses and plates can fall and break into a million little pieces. However, contrary to their expectations, cork floors are actually one of the best choices for kitchen flooring and here are 5 reasons why.
1. Durability Ė Many people canít believe that a floor tile so soft can actually be durable - at least, durable enough to handle a kitchen. Hereís one way to look at it. Cork has been trusted for centuries in the wine industry. It is has been used as wine bottle stoppers to preserve the contents. Without the right tools, itís almost impossible to remove that cork from the bottle and thatís how durable cork floors are.
Cork came from the bark of the cork oak tree. Since it is essentially the bark itself, it was originally meant to protect the tree from the forces of nature. That, in itself, is a testament to the durability of cork.
2. Elasticity Ė Cork floors are elastic which is why they are soft to walk on. Inside the cork is a honeycomb structure that holds pockets of air. When compressed, the structure is responsible for returning the compressed area to its original state. That process of compression and decompression is what we feel.
Itís not uncommon for glasses and plates to fall and break on the floor, especially on tiles or hardwood. However, cork flooring may actually provide a bit of cushion and prevent the glass or plates from breaking.
3. Water resistant Ė Kitchen flooring often experience water spills. Water may spill from a glass on a table, or from the kitchen sink, or even from dog water bowls. Fortunately, cork tiles are water resistant. In the first place, cork does not absorb water. Keep in mind that it is also used as a bottle stopper.
However, this does not mean that cork floors are waterproof. As long as the floor is wiped dry as soon as possible, then it is impossible for it do any damage to the floor.
4. Color & Design Variety Ė Cork flooring manufacturers produce tiles in over 200 different designs and colors. You will surely be able to select one that will complement your kitchen design.
5. Repairable Ė In the event that one or more tiles are damaged, these can easily be repaired. More often than not, the damage will be superficial thus affecting only the finishing of the tile. All that it will usually need is for the damaged finish to be sanded off. A new coat of varnish is then applied and the tile will look like new.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Cork tiles are perfect for kitchen flooring - , but they do require additional protection, especially if the kitchen is a high traffic area. Forna Flooringís wood coating ensures that cork tiles installed in high traffic areas are well protected. Our coat ensures that the beauty and shine of your cork floor lasts longer.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated