Many people struggle when trying to decorate their home. This is especially true when trying to decorate the more functional areas of your home, such as the kitchen. One important thing to consider is that before decorating, or buying dcor pieces, you need to first decide which decorating style youd like to employ. The choices are endless, and can leave your head spinning. However, keeping a few design styles in mind will help most get a good start on the possible styles they could use when choosing their kitchen dcor.
While there are many styles of kitchen dcor to choose from, there are about five styles or elements that are really popular for kitchen dcor. Before you get started, or choose a style, its important to educate yourself about that style. One way to do this is by looking at house and home magazines, websites, or kitchen showrooms. DIY stores, kitchen websites, and the homes of friends or family members can also be a valuable resource. The key is to keep an eye of for some designs you like, and then match the design with a particular style so that you know what types of colors, and dcor pieces you can use. Some of the more popular kitchen design styles are noted below.
1. Country Style - Often called Early American or Colonial as it is designed to create a lovely quaint farm style kitchen. Often such kitchens will feature open shelves, pot racks and have the feeling of it being well lived in. Such kitchens are usually accented by the various colour schemes relating to the actual cabinetry of the units.
2. Modern Contemporary " Extremely popular during the 90s, this style is noted by its clean and simple lines, along with the use of metals, plastics and other man-made materials, which give it a modern and somewhat futuristic look. Many are shying away from this style due to its emphasis on clean and cold, and opting for a more warm and livable style.
3. Shaker - A simple and utilitarian style of kitchen that has flat panel doors, wooden countertops and brass handles (hardware).
4. French Farmhouse " This classic style is noted by its use of warm and inviting colors and earth tones. It usually features lots of natural wood, with stickly, or chunky furniture.
5. Arts and Crafts " This style of kitchen dcor is one that has been gaining popularity in recent years. It features the use of glass doors and natural wood tones that are finished in a smooth matte finish rather than glossy. A central element of this dcor is the use of decorative, and crafty items such as decorative tiles, plates, signs, and other objects. While this style can be very warm and comfortable, one thing to be aware of is to not get carried away with too many trinkets that will yield a cluttered look.
However, it is important when choosing a theme for your kitchen that you look at the designs and styles of the other rooms in your home to ensure that it fits in with the overall scheme of your home. Have a smooth transition between rooms is important in preventing a patchwork decorated home. Use rooms like entryways and hallways as transition points between different decorating styles, which will help make your transitions between decorating styles more fluid.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Anna Holdaway is a designer that specializes in home decor, and often utilizes vinyl lettering in the form of wall words to achieve unique home and kitchen decor.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated
Additional Articles From - Home
| Home And Garden Articles