Portugal, Italy, and Spain were traditional suppliers of marble and other natural stone, but today Turkey and China are leading stone and marble suppliers. Marble is popular because polishing and working it is simple and because it looks so beautiful. But other natural stones are quite beautiful too, and worthy of consideration. Here are five interesting ways to use marble and other stone in your home decor.
1. Small decorative items. Marble coasters, vases, and other accessories are a great way to start using stonework in your decor without spending a fortune. A marble mortar and pestle set costs less than $20 and is a great tool to have in the kitchen. So is a marble rolling pin for the baking enthusiast. Small items made from marble are beautiful in any decor and make great housewarming and wedding gifts.
2. Statues. Carved stone statues are made in every style imaginable, from the most abstract to the most realistic. These can be used indoors or in outdoor gardens. Rolling sphere fountains are popular tabletop accessories and are very beautiful. Carved stone statues of around 25 cm in height will cost around $100.00, while large carved stone garden statues can cost thousands.
3. Stone gardens. Stone gardens are great for difficult areas of your yard where light and/or soil conditions aren't conducive to lush plant life. A simple raised stone bed with colored stones of varying sizes can be a beautiful addition to a garden that requires little or no maintenance. If you're willing to put in some sweat equity, you can build a beautiful small stone garden for about $100.00
4. Stone or marble tables. Stone decor indoors has an air of permanency and longevity. Stone tables are beautiful, elegant, and classy in any setting. They're the type of table you buy, that you expect to have for the rest of your life. Because each is made from unique pieces of stone or marble, each is one of a kind. A large rectangular marble table of around 1 m X 2 m will cost up to $3,000 custom made, and will become an heirloom. Smaller bistro type tables may cost a few hundred dollars and are great for smaller living spaces.
5. Marble or stone tubs. A marble or natural stone tub is the ultimate in old-world style luxury. The beauty of a natural stone bathtub is unsurpassed. Like the tables, each is unique. This is the centerpiece for a luxury-steeped spa bathroom. These tubs are quite expensive - starting around $10,000 - but their appeal is absolutely timeless. Natural stone tubs, carved from a single piece of marble, onyx, or travertine, may be round, oval, rectangular, or even shaped to fit into a corner.
Marble and natural stone are among the most beautiful sources of timeless home decor. Marble and stone can definitely be pricey, especially for large items, but they can be incorporated into even budget-conscious decorating schemes. A few marble kitchen tools function almost as art objects themselves, and are inexpensive and practical. However you choose to incorporate marble and natural stone into your decor, you can be sure it will be beautiful and eye-catching, and will last a lifetime.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Need a pebble tile? Visit www.fromstoneage.com
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated