Oftentimes when thinking about improving home security, many people start immediately focusing on electronic devices like security systems, alarms, cameras, and so forth. And to be sure, all of those products have a role to play in a high quality home security plan. But actually there are some very simple things that anyone can do to raise the security level in and around their home with very little cost and effort. And here is our list of 5 things that can help make your home more secure right away:
1. If you happen to be one of those folks who likes to leave a key to the front door of your house hidden under your doormat, or over the door frame, or within easy reach of your front door, you are just inviting a home break-in and making it easy for the burglar. Experienced burglars know that lots of people hide the key to the front door in close proximity to the door to make it more convenient for them to get in when they forget their key for some reason. So they just check around the front door area and can often come up with easy entry into your home in a very short period of time by doing so. Its not a good idea to hide your key outside at all therefore, but if you must, at least hide it a good distance away from the front door where no one would think to look.
2. One of the other most common ways that burglars can gain easy access to your home is through an open or unlocked window. This just makes it way too easy for them. So if you happen to be one of those folks who loves to have your windows open, at least install safety locks that will only allow them to be open part of the way and not enough for someone to be able to climb through. And when you are away from the house, it's best to have the windows shut and locked at all times.
3. Just drive down almost any street and you will find houses that have trees and large shrubs up next to the house where someone could hide. That is a bad safety strategy, and it would be good for you to go outside and look at your home from the standpoint of an intruder. How easy is it to get close to your home without being seen? Can someone gain access to upper floors of the home by climbing a nearby tree? If you spot possible hiding places close to the house, do whatever is necessary to eliminate that danger. Prevention is your best protection in this area.
4. Many home intrusions take place at night simply because darkness helps conceal suspicious behavior. So bright lights are an intruder's worst enemy. In view of that, some well-placed motion detection lights can do wonders for your home security. They are cheap and simple to install, and can be very effective in preventing break-ins.
5. If you have nice possessions, like an expensive car, keep it in the garage. Try to do as little as possible to attract attention to any pricey posserssions that you may have. Burglars would rather invest their time and energy in homes that promise a good payday as opposed to those where they can't really tell much about what is inside. So keep windows covered so that it is hard to see inside, and use shades at night to keep others from looking inside your home to see what valuables are there.
All of these ideas are very simple and easy to implement, but together they can raise your home security level right away.
Article Directory: http://www.articletrunk.com
Jim Johnson writes on many consumer related topics including home security. You can find out more about home security by visiting our Home Security Review website.
Please Rate this Article
Not yet Rated